We will not give out or sell your information (including name and email address) to anyone. We will not send you an email unless it is directly related to a technical issue that you initiated. We will not put you on a mailing list unless you have opted in.
Bill of Rights
On the 8th of September 2013 Limor Fried founder and lead engineer of Adafruit Industries called in the New York Times for a Bill of Rights for the Internet of Things with the following core principals:
- Open is better than closed; this ensures portability between Internet of Things devices.
- Consumers, not companies, own the data collected by Internet of Things devices.
- Internet of Things devices that collect public data must share that data.
- Users have the right to keep their data private.
- Users can delete or back up data collected by Internet of Things devices.
Arguing that these were all reasonable consumer rights, and that smart companies will adopt these as the standard, and that open-source code and hardware will help keep abuses low and security strong when everything is connected to the Internet.
We agree with the Bill of Rights for your things. They're your things. You own them, you control them. All our code is open to download and review, and is available under an open source license. Your data is stored locally with your steward, and is stored in standard SQL databases so it can be easily exported from our system, and it is private by default.
You choose how and when to release your data. It will never leave your local network unless you want it to, our cloud services are designed to let you access your steward and your data remotely, not to publicise your data.
We claim no ownership over your data, your data is yours, and our philiosophy is all about making things as easy as possible for you to keep it that way.
All our software is released under the MIT license.
Copyright © 2013, The Thing System, Inc.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the 'Software'), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED 'AS IS', WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
Text and Documentation
You are free:
- to Share to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- Noncommercial You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
With the understanding that:
- Waiver Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
- Public Domain Where the work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- Other Rights In no way are any of the following rights affected by the license:
- Your fair dealing or fair use rights, or other applicable copyright exceptions and limitations;
- The author's moral rights;
- Rights other persons may have either in the work itself or in how the work is used, such as publicity or privacy rights.
Notice For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page.